Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Blizzard of 1993

Today is the 17 year anniversary of the Blizzard of 1993. I was 7 months pregnant. It was like 70 degrees that day and no one really believed the forecasters. At 8 pm the bottom fell out of the thermometer and the snow began to fall. My husband said it wasn't going to snow that much. I said I hope it snows on your head! We woke up at around 1 am and it was snowing on my husband's head! We had lost power. It started to get cold in our trailer. The only heat we had was electric. The next morning, we decided to go to our neighbor's house who had a kerosene heater. It was so hard to walk in the snow that was up to my belly, remember I was 7 months pregnant. My husband went back down to our trailer and brought a bunch of food up to our neighbor's house. He also helped our other elderly neighbors walk up there. The man fell several times before he made it to the house. They finally restored power to our trailer three days later but we still didn't have phone service. So, my father-in-law came to get us and carried us to his house. About three days later, they finally got our phone turned back on. We came home to busted water pipes. Luckily, a friend of ours helped us fix that. My husband had to draw unemployment because the roof collapsed on his plant. It made us very thankful for the simple things in life. We will never forget this as long as we live.
http://wdef.com/blog/from_the_archiv..._of_93/03/2010

No comments: